Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Halloween Boo Door Decor

I made a fun decoration for my door.  This is for inside as it is all paper.  It is the Witches' Brew Designer Series Paper from the Holiday Catalog and embroidery hoops.
I bet you'd like to make one. 
 
Here's how!
You'll need 3 embroidery hoops (I used 8" hoops), 3 pieces of 12" x 12" dsp, Sticky Strip Tape, glue gun and sticks, marker, scissors, thick foam core scraps, solid color dsp or cardstock for the letters and bat and ribbon to hang it.  I did a paper bow so those pieces can be cut fromt he leftover scrap after cutting the circles in step one.
 
Step One: Take the inner hoop out of the embroidery hoop. 
Trace tightly around this inner hoop.  Draw a line about 3/4" farther out.
Cut out on outer line.
 
See this photo for lines.
 
Step Two: Wrap inner hoop with Sticky Strip Tape.
 
Step Three: Cut every 3/4" or so around the edge. 
Do not cut beyond inner circle.
 
 
Step Four:  Place inner hoop on dsp. 
Remove protective paper from Sticky Strip tape.
Fold up the sections one at a time.  Work in a compass pattern.
Fold up one at the top, then the bottom, then one on the left then the right. 
Keep the hoop on your inner line when you start folding up tabs.
 
If any are longer than the hoop, trim them off level with the edge of the hoop. 
 
Step five: Set hoop face up.  Place outer hoops over top
and tighten screws so hoops hold together.
Sorry fuzzy picture.  See the tan hoops?
I colored my outer hoops by rubbing Black and Pumpkin Pie ink pads
over the hoop, then letting them dry overnight.
 
***
Step six: To hang the door décor.
I was stumped.  I finally figured out to have the dimension
 I wanted, I had to add depth between the hoops.
 
I cut thick foam core scraps to fit inside the hoops
and layered it 2 deep between the B and O.
The other O fits over the curve of the top foam core piece.
 
Step seven:  To attach the ribbon, I added more foam core board
trimmed to fit against the inner hoop.  Hot glue is my friend.  :)
I attached the ribbon to those once they cooled and hung it on the door.
 
The bow is cut out with the Gift Bow Bigz L die,  To create the different size loops,
I attached the top loop with the ends overlapping and the bottom loop farther apart.
Then attach the fishtail ends layering everything.
 
***
The letters are hand drawn.  You could enlarge letters 
from the computer, trace and cut them out, to fit your hoops. 
They are attached with Sticky Strip tape.
I added the bat to the door decor in the first photo.  It needed one more thing.  :)
You could add a spider web, ghost cut outs or anything you like for Halloween. 
I used to have a door size skeleton, this would have been cool hung in his hands.
 
Happy stamping!

No comments:

01 09 10 view sourceprint?01 09 10 01 09 10 01 09 10