Friday, June 17, 2011

Retiring Sets Blog Hop

Stampin' Addicts is bringing you another top notch blog hop! 
If you are traveling forward in the blog hop you just came from Twila's blog.
The projects she made with the Pick A Petal stamp set are so cute!

I will be showcasing the retiring stamp set Friends 24-7.
 
I had a friend ask me to make some samples of handcrafted paper fans for an event she is having this summer.  I thought what a great idea, and decided to use it for the blog hop.

This fan is stationary.  It can't be closed.  I set the Jumbo Eyelet through all the layers.  I thought it would move but, nope, not a millimeter.  lol  I dyed the ribbon Crumb Cake first, then didn't like it so I ran it over the Not Quite Navy ink pad.  It made a cool midnight blue color on the Organdy Ribbon.  I used the Petal Cone Big Shot die for the base pieces.  That is not retiring!


This fan opens and closes as you can see in the pictures.  I set a small Metallic Eyelet in each base, then tied them together with Baker's Twine. To keep them from falling ever which way, I punched a hole through all the pieces, at the same time.  In the top scalloped end, with the Crop A Dile.  I colored a 12" piece of Bakers twine black with a marker.  After it dried I threaded it through each section and layered the ends under the scallop pieces.  It needed a tassel so I made one by wrapping the Baker's twine around 3 fingers and tying it to create the tassel.

My friend wants an old world collage style look which is why these are all the same stamping technique.  This last one is probably the one I will show her. 
I would cry if I went through all the work making a dozen of either of the others, and saw people throw them  out.

 For this rectangle fan, I folded in half, 2 pieces of 6" x 8" Black Texture cardstock and cut them in the Square Scallop Clear die.  The white layer is
3 7/8" x 5 7/8".  I also made it 2 sided.  
You could use these for a wedding and put the program on one side, stamping on the other. I attached the large popsicle stick inside with Sticky Strip. To keep the ribbon in place I punched a hole through the stick with the Crop A Dile. I love that tool!  Then threaded the ribbon through the hole and tied a bow. I had some Beautiful Wings die cut butterflies leftover from a scrapbook page and decided they would be nice on here.  The quote is from Full of Life.  The quote won't work for her event, but I know a bride-to-be who I want to show this idea to.
*****

 For all of you who say, let them sweat, who wants to make fans, here are some card ideas. :)

A black and white wedding or anniversary card.  I texturized both the black and white layers with the Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder.  A sponged sympathy card in Pacific Point and Baja Breeze.  A friend birthday card in Basic Grey and Baja Breeze.


Next on the blog hop is Jennifer's blog.
The projects she made with the All Holidays stamp set are wonderful!


        
Hope you are enjoying the hop!
Happy stamping!

25 comments:

Holly/Rubber Redneck said...

Kim WOW I LOVE the first fan idea!! Great idea for the petal cone die! I love all of your projects. I will really miss this set it was one of my favorites.

Heidi Baks said...

Don't let them sweat! I love the fans!!

Margaret said...

I never thought of fans for a summer wedding! I just have to make one for myself!

RhondaG -the stampin' bunny said...

Adorable fans!! I love your designs and creations! Beautiful work!

Adriana Benitez said...

Ha, ha - let them sweat... while they eat cake? lol

Such cute fans; what a nice idea for a summer party! TFS!

Regina said...

Wow! What fantastic ideas - you are just so clever!!

Holly / InkPaperStamps said...

your post is hysterical, Kim--I love those fans!

Tanya Boser said...

LOL! Kim, way to show us all of your creative steps. Just goes to show that even our oops can be fab!

lisa808 said...

Kim,

I love the fans! Super creative idea.

Lisa

Melissa said...

Great projects, Kim! Love your fans!

sharon said...

WOW!!! I love both fans. You are so talented! If I ever have a "Ladys Soiree" I would like to have a fan ready for each lady. Wouldn't they think they are so special.
Sharon L
sharon dot lemon @ sbcglobsl dot net

Deb B (Debadoo) said...

Beautiful cards Kim, and I really love those fans!!

Lisa Young said...

I have always loved this stamp set and you just made me love it even more! Everything is beautiful especially the first fan - brilliant idea!

Betty said...

Very pretty! I love all your card ideas!

Rhonda Miller said...

Oh, your creations are fabulous. I love those fans. TFS.

Jen Timko said...

These are stunning!! I am always partial to cards and I love these but your fans are amazing!!

Yapha said...

Those fans are really clever! I love your explanations of your trial-and-error too! Fabulous cards as well.

Sara Mattson-Blume said...

Those fans are gorgeous!

Twila said...

Kim! I love the fans. That first one is gorgeous! Great work my friend.

Ret said...

Hi Kim, What great projects! I really like the fans you made, how creative of you! Your cards are just beautiful, I just love them!
Thanks for sharing!

LisaBee said...

The fans are fabulous! What a great idea. Fun for a ladies tea party favor...we have one every year at church. : )

Mickey Roberts said...

I just love your fans! So clever and just lovely with the collage effect.

Susan said...

Great projects!! the next time you want to use a jumbo or any kind of eyelet but have it be moveable shide some und er the eyelet on 2 sides to add space before setting...like a thin piece of chipboard or plastic. since it is not fully encompassing the eyelet, it will give you wiggle room to get the chipboard or plastic back out, and your object should be movable. If not you could always used a brad.

TFS.
Susan

Kim said...

That's a great idea Susan. I'll be using it. TFS your idea!

Sharon Field / Created By You said...

LOVE the rectangular fan! What a fabulous idea! I'm so sad to see this stamp set retire... it may be gone but remain on my shelves for a long time!

01 09 10 view sourceprint?01 09 10 01 09 10 01 09 10