Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A sure sign of better weather!

The Orioles are here! 
The first one was singing in the tree Saturday
so I hurried up and got the mix made, cooled and in the feeder.
They come every year and bring their young ones to the feeder too. 
I hang a second feeder up in mid June. I guess I'll have to do it earlier
this year, as they are here early.  I usually don't see them until the end of May. 

So far I had 2 males and 1 female on here at the same time.  I have had up to
15 visiting the feeders when they have their young with them.


Homemade Oriole Mix
Instructions:
Boil the water first, then measure and add sugar, at the rate of 1/3 cup of sugar to 2 cups of water.
Let cool and store excess in refrigerator until ready to use.
Although commercial oriole food is usually orange colored, do not add food coloring, honey (which ferments), or artificial sweetener to this homemade oriole food recipe.
You will need to clean your feeder every few days, with hot water and a mild (10%) bleach solution to inhibit mold. Rinse thoroughly before refilling with water syrup.

 
What Orioles Like to Eat
Orioles feed on insects and caterpillars, but also like nuts, suet, and fruit such as oranges, cherries, apples, pears or bananas. In additon to offering the oriole nectar from the recipe, consider offering chopped fruit on a feeding platform, or nailing half an orange to a tree (simply hammer in the nail, then force the nail through the skin of the orange). Replace fruit daily to ensure the food is fresh and doesn't go moldy.

I know they eat wasps.  Since they started hanging around my area 4 years ago, the wasp population has greatly diminished.  We used  to have so many around the yard, and now I see 1 or 2 a week. 

Isn't this flower bed gorgeous?!  I transplanted 12 spots of Artemisia
from my Mom's yard into this bed 2 days ago.  It'll be as tall as the tulips
by mid summer.  It has lovely silver grey foliage.


I am stamping. I have been trying to get outside stuff done and some things get pushed dow the priority list, like my blog. I'll take pictures tomorrow and get the cards uploaded that I've featured in classes the last few weeks.  Until then, happy stamping!

1 comment:

Margaret said...

What a good bird friend you are! Is that feeder a special one for orioles, or will a hummingbird feeder work also?

01 09 10 view sourceprint?01 09 10 01 09 10 01 09 10