Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day 15
Catalog CASE (Copy and Steal Everything)
This is a pincushion cased from the New Spring Summer 2009 Catalog. It is actually used for the new Quilt Quips stamp set on page 53. I will be ordering the set on Jan. 19. So for now I used stamped images from the New Hostess set Goody, Goody, Gumdrops found in the Spring Summer 2009 Catalog.
This would make a great birthday present for friend that sews.
Instructions:
1. Cut a rectangle of fabric 6" x 12". Fold in half, sew along the short edge, forming it into a tube.
2. Gather and sew the bottom shut from the inside of the tube. I ran a long stitch along the edge with my sewing machine to assist in gathering. You could also do this by hand. I also tied jute string around the gathered end before turning it right side out.
3. Stuff with quilt batting (not enough- My pincushion is too smooshy.) and gathered the top edge. I had also run a long stitch along this fabric edge. I gathered this thread, tied the all the ends together and tucked the edges down into the pincushion.
4. I used linen thread, doubled up, with the long needle from the Crafter's kit to sew through the pincushion and make the 8 segments.
5. To hide the raw edges of the top edge, I sewed through a Pretty Petals blossom, a chipboard button (covered with Not Quite Navy - current designer hostess paper pack) and a Fresh Favorites button. I sewed all the way down through the center of the pincushion to the bottom and back up to the top layers.
6. The flag with the sentiment is attached to a tall needle. I dyed Creamy Carmel gingham ribbon with Not Quite Navy reinker to coordinate.
This card is cased from Pick A Petal on page 114. I used the stem and leaf stamps from the new Petal Pizzazz found in the Spring Summer 2009 Catalog.I changed some of the colors. just for my preference. The color is layered on the blossom with a sponge. I did not have the word set they used so I stamped the stem and used the piercing tool rather than stitching with my sewing machine. I have a sewing machine I use just for with paper as it dulls your needles fast to sew through paper. It is buried in the back of the closet and I did not feel like digging it out today.This would be a wonderful card for a gardener. I have a friend who has a outdoor pond with lily's. I am going to make one for her birthday. This was the first card that caught my eye in the new catalog.

7 comments:

RhondaG -the stampin' bunny said...

Awesome CASEs! Great choices too! So pretty!

Pammybaby said...

Oh, Kim, these are terrific! I can't believe you made that pincushion, too! You are wa-a-ay too talented!

Sara (SCS Inkymom) said...

Kim, love these....I hadn't even seen that card, but now I am off to look...

Scrapbookmama said...

GIRL MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN YOU ROCKED THAT CHALLENGE OH MY GOOOSHHHHH I FREAKING LOVE IT.. OHHH I NOW I have to play MAN I can't over your push pin that is AMAZING!

-Ellie

Kathy said...

What a CASE! Absolutely amazing!

Paula said...

Those are great cases. If I didn't spend soooo much time trying to keep caught up on SA, I might be able to stamp again.

Amy said...

You are amazing, Kim! This is so adorable!

01 09 10 view sourceprint?01 09 10 01 09 10 01 09 10